Thursday, January 6, 2011

Idolatry and Christians

If you look up the meaning of Idolatry, this is one of the definitions. "Excessive or blind adoration, reverence, devotion, etc..." Ever notice how things in this world is becoming idols to everyone, including Christians? Or is it just me that is surrounded by people glued to their electronics? From T.v's, ipods, iphones, ipads, computers, normal phones, and mp3 players, it seems like we can never live without them now. We Americans have become so depended on electronics, that one day without them can land us in a pych ward. We have made Idols of them. We rely on them almost as much as God. If we spend as much time worshiping God and reading the bible as we spend on computers, iphones, and cell phones, I think we would be way closer to Christ and his people, and we would get so much more done in our daily lives. You see, the reason I know that is because I tried it. I spent 1 day away for the computer and ipod, and since I don't have an iphone, I don't have to worry much about my old phone. I spent the day cleaning house, making bread and granola, and made my whole day about trying to be productive. Wow! Did i get alot more done. And yes, that seems way obvious but for some reason, we get stuck in a rut of laziness, and as the diffanition above says, "blind devotion" to things that really don't matter. It says in 1Jo. 5:21 "To keep ourselves from idols". In those days, it was idols carved from stone and wood that people would bow to and worship. In today's age, its everything that can take our time and adoration from God. Not just electronics, but anything that is taking a higher place in our lives besides God.
I am writing this because I see it in myself and I want to encourage all my brothers and sister to look at your life and see what your idol is and find a way to make it less of an idol. Jesus says to make our treasures in heaven and not on earth because things on earth will decay and rust away, but our treasures in heaven will always reamain. Treasures in heaven such as friendships, Godliness, holiness, love, understanding, peace, encouragment to brothers and sisters in need, honoring your mother and father, understanding and compassion. These are the things we are to have. We all need to work on what really matters, reading and understanding the bible, praying, and being a servant.
None of this is to condeme others, but to build us up in Christ as a church and as brothers and sisters in Christ. I am not against electronics, I use them everyday. We just have to make sure we are not using them to seperate ourselves from eachother and Christ. Here are some common examples. 1. When someone walks in a room where you are, take of your earphones and put aside the computer. Take time to visit with them. 2. If a friend comes over to visit, don't answer every call that comes in and make your friend feel like you don't want them there. They can leave a message and you can call back. Phones are great for getting ahold of someone, but if it's not an emergency, let it ring and visit with the human standing in front of you. 3. Get out of your house more and go visit. Turn the computer off for a whole day (and if you have an iphone, don't get on the internet with that either) and see how much you get done. My day is friday. No computers, ipods or things that I tend to be glued too. Only me, my family, friends and God. I will have my phone, but even then, I will use it sparingly. I want my life to mean something in the end.
Let us encourage one another daily so that we do not fall into temptation and sin. Let us build eachother up with words of love and wisdom. Let us be compassionate to others and honoring to our fathers and mothers. Let us not be sucked into the world and the things of it, but let us be absorbed into Christ and his life. We, as mothers, wives and daughters, lets work on being the best moms, the best wives and daughters. Cleaning our homes, caring for our children and serving the people over you. We all have a place and a job to do, so lets do it.
I love all my brothers and sister and I hope this encouarges you as it does me. You are all in my hearts.

3 comments:

  1. Suddenly just getting on the computer at 1:53 in the afternoon makes me feel good about myself. :)

    Tammy S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Tammy you are so right! Thank you for sharing- the Bible tells us to sharpen each other, but so often we are afraid to "step on toes". I need this reminder- put down the computer/ book/ phone and look at people! Interact!
    I'm going to call you tomorrow- I have a proposal for you! Plus, the Lord has also been convicting me in the other direction too: sometimes I need to PICK UP THE PHONE AND CALL THE PEOPLE I LOVE. Like you :D
    Thank you for sharing your heart. I love to see you grow :D
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tami,
    This was a great blog. In fact, I finally enjoyed reading your entire blog. I love what God has done for you, Tami! What an incredible husband He gave you, and your child is one of the most beautiful babies ever!! What a great challenge to take one day a week for no internet. And I love the idea of people not answering the phone or texting when they are around people. Awesome challenge --- people paying attention to people, rather than to their electronics. :) I often wonder if the great "fall of Babylon" won't be the Great Internet. Can you imagine how the world would have to come to a great standstill without it?!?! Love you Tami. Keep up the great blog! ~Hashachar

    ReplyDelete